back: next: The Project
My fiancé and I are working on the project of making a wolf fullsuit. It should be wearable for days, to go on a Live Action Role Play (LARP). But we want to do it with different Addons, like stilts and when its possible Anmiatronics inside.
This is the fourth step of a little photo-walkthrough making the mask for my manwolf.Design & Claws & Tail
Mask from the third part of the Walkthroug, metal bars, screws and nuts, slouches/rivets, modelling clay, fimo, latex, flour, plaster bandage, metal web, needle and string. maybe I´ve forgotten some things making the joint
I cutted the mask in two pieces to open the mouth. Althoug I made the holes for the eyes. To make the mask comfortable to wear, I added a bit of foam in the inside near the eyes and a rubber band to hold it.
I bought some metal bars from the craftsstore, but I´ve heard you could use plastic even better. Well I had this, so it´s my choice. With screws and nuts I placed the joint. A punch helped me to make the holes in the mask.
The nuts unfastened themselves, so I took rivets to fit the jaw in the end.
That was good, because they are light, they hold the weight and don´t take so much room. resin jaw
I took the metal web and cuttet it into the form of the mouth, but with a bit more which I bended around, that I could sew it later to the mask. Then I modeled the jaw with childrens clay. It was really soft and a pain in the ass. Then I made a negative form like I did with the mask, but before came three layers of pure latex to capture the details.
Then I made a positive out of resin.
When it was finished I wasn´t really happy with the form, so I continued modelling.I althoug tried to make single teeth with screws inside and a jaw out of foam, but both wasn´t really succesful. fimo jaw
I tried Fimo as next step. It´s a littlebit harder than the childrens clay and when I had finished the upper jaw I could bake it and had a hard form to fit in the other one.
Doing the next step (moving lips) I found out that I wasn´t able to open the mouth enough to put a spoon in it. So I decided to redo it once again.Note:
Have a look that the snout has been cuttet a lot during the jaw-making-process. That´s because I wanted to make moving lips and you need do see the teeth and the gum. The clay model of the mask was modelled with a closed jaw, but now I need the form of a open one. The wood-glue helped me to make the mask harder at the places where I cuttet it. Credit
The cast head is made by
This Mask-making Project is inspired by:
and the nice helping people at Larper-Ning (